Monday, January 28, 2008

Backtracking a little bit...

Since it's been a while since I've sent pictures I thought I'd post a few things here from the last few months. These are from our trip to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo (CO Springs) in early November. Sophie was so in her element - we called her "the Giraffe Whisperer". She seriously had no fear of going right up to the giraffes and petting them or feeding them, despite their sticky, long tongues! Caleb, on the other hand, was entirely freaked out by the whole thing! They sell giraffe crackers and Sophie could not get enough of feeding them - we had to pull her away!









Caleb wanted no part of feeding the giraffes and kept a safe distance from all but the newborns! 










By the time we were leaving he FINALLY rallied his courage and fed one piece of cracker to a giraffe - after much prodding and coaxing from Sophia telling him "It's OK, it's not scary!" 










By the end of our time there the giraffes were following Sophie around and one even stood in front of her long after she was out of crackers and allowed Sophia to pet her for several minutes. 























At one point the giraffe put her head on the railing and left it there while Sophia hugged her! I was slow with the camera so I got it as she was letting go.  It really was amazing!  











Feeding the birds was much more Caleb's speed!


2 comments:

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Hi there - I was going to send you an email, but I couldn't find an email address. Thanks so much for your comment describing the whole Liquid Nails fiasco. I honestly had no idea there were different types of Liquid Nails (obviously). I'll be sure to edit the post to clarify that. And I'm really sorry the project ended up being so much work for you! I hope you like the results, though.

Have a great day!
AnNicole

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

aww...it looks like they really enjoyed the Giraffe! = )